Friday is here, and we all are glad to welcome the day as the gateway to the weekend. It is a great day in the week since it is Saturday eve. Only a few more hours and the hard work for this week can be behind us. That is unless you are one of those souls who can’t let it go for a couple of days. We all know who you are. If you are not working, you think your foot will fall off or something. You are a group of obsessive overachievers I have to excuse myself from this group even though I never stop working.I’m a writer, and we know writers are allowed to obsess over the never-ending task of writing. For the rest of you there seems to be some logic in taking some time off. Go ahead, remove your shoes and lay that computer down. After all, none of you will be on your deathbed saying,”my only regret is I couldn’t work more.” Today is the first day of the rest of your life (where the hell did that come from?), and you need to get started on a new objective to smell roses. I realize you can’t just stop. The withdrawal might be harsh enough to kill you. Maybe you can take baby steps. Try this
1. Put down the notebook and phone.
2. Go outside. (Yes outside with all the heat and bugs)
3. Find a flower. (You’ll recognize it by the fact it is in the ground)
4. Lean over and inhale through your nose like you are in a Pilates class.
5. Run quickly back into the house and congratulate yourself on completing the first rose smelling exercise. Next time we will try to find a rose.
Today’s JohnKu (a term coined by Words4jp) is about smelling the roses.
Rose by John W. Howell © 2015
Work is a blessing,
For the purpose fulfilling. . .
But not as a life.