Top Ten Things Not to do on Memorial Day

Memorial Day

 

As you know, I would normally have a Top Ten list which contains tongue in cheek advice on how to behave under certain circumstances.

Today I only have one thing on the list that I could repeat ten times (but I won’t).

On Memorial Day, do not go through the day without remembering those who gave their lives so that we can continue to celebrate such a beautiful remembrance.

Here is wishing you a peaceful holiday.

 

31 comments

  1. Beautifully done, John. Point taken. Mega hugs.

    1. Thanks, Teagan. Huge hug for you.

  2. And can I please add a pet peeve of mine? Being as this is a solemn day – can people refrain from saying – “Happy” Memorial Day?

    1. I totally agree, GP. Thanks for the addition.

  3. Excellent “list” John.

  4. Nicely said. Probably going to be my favorite Memorial Day post. I have to agree with GP Cox that the ‘happy’ thing is just odd. I think part of it is that a lot of people think Memorial Day and Veterans Day are interchangeable.

    1. Thanks, Charles. This was the one complaint when the day was established, it would become nothing but a three day holiday

      1. Which happens to nearly every holiday in modern times. I think it’s still important to have it though. If for nobody else than those who were personally affected and those who want to take it seriously.

      2. I use the day to remember my family members who served and ultimately died as a result of the service.

      3. Honestly, that’s the main reason for the holiday. To make sure they aren’t forgotten.

      4. For me it is. And I pretty much spent it quietly.

  5. Thanks for this post, John, and to GPCox for his sentiment.

  6. Humbling. Thanks John. These men have earned our respect.

    1. Thanks, Susan. 🙂

  7. Thanks, John. May you and yours have a pleasant holiday also. 🙂 — Suzanne

  8. Great post. I think I’ll spend my day helping John Wayne win WWII.

  9. Loved this, John! I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday. I’m so grateful for those who gave their lives for our freedom.

    1. Thanks, Jill. I am too.

  10. Hear. Hear. ❤ ❤

  11. Absolutely lovely, John, and so appropriate for the holiday. Here’s hoping yours is peaceful as well!

    1. The ones that lost their lives have given us the hope for peace. I’m sue they would be glad to know the day was spent peacefully. Thanks Debbie

  12. We don’t celebrate (is that even the right word?) Veteran’s Day or Memorial Day this side of the pond. Having served my country until we refused to help our biggest ally in their hour of need in Vietnam, I am grateful to those who died in every conflict to preserve our peaceful way of life. Thanks also to those who continue to bear arms and fight for the rights of the many to live without fear. Yesterday was our late Spring bank holiday which many years ago was called Whitsun and celebrated the Ascension of Christ. That was when 95% of the population were Christians and the other 5% were atheists. Now we’re a nation of mixed faiths but I still believe we’re better with diversity than without it. I refuse to condemn Catholics because of the IRA, I won’t condemn Protestants because of the UDA. I’m so not going to criticise Jews because of the ease to do it, I won’t criticise Muslims because of unIslamic State but I do wish all these terrorists would climb into a hole somewhere so we could fill it in and start living in peace!

    1. Thanks for your perspective, Dave. I agree with your position on all. 🙂

  13. Well said, good sir!!

  14. Best list ever, John.

%d bloggers like this: